...But my arm was treated like one by the orthopedist. I had surgery to repair the three breaks in my left arm, which left me with a screw and a pin installed in my wrist. I completely broke the head of my radius off, then broke that portion into three pieces. Thankfully they did not have to install a plate like originally thought, and the pin will be able to be removed (it is currently sticking out of my arm like the biggest acupuncture needle you've ever seen).
They knew I had some sort of medical background because I could converse intelligently about the injury and procedure using the proper terms, even under the influence of morphine... So they thought I would want to know details of the procedure before it happened. Nope, no thanks--I'll wait until it's done, then you can give me the complete run-down. It would have just freaked me out to know all about it beforehand; I knew enough of what was happening to already be somewhat freaked already.
Turns out, they slit open my arm and peeled it open like a banana to be able to get all the instruments and stuff in there. I can't see the damage aftermath because of the cast--but I could feel it over the next week especially. My muscles felt like they were all pulled; my bones are still achy and want to pop--like you pop your knuckles, but mid-bone; the exposed portions of my hand are swollen and bruised; there is dried blood around the pin sticking out. I'm looking pretty hawt! lol
They couldn't give me anything for pain until I woke from the anesthesia (no block, just sleepytime)--so although I was having the most wonderful dreams while knocked out, the moment I woke all I felt was excruciating pain. Since there had been a tube down my throat, it was all scratchy and kind of coated feeling. kinda foggy, but I texted the one person I knew was available to receive it, and waited to get moving around a bit. I walked in the hospital at 6am; sitting in Starbucks eating and waiting on meds by noon. Not too bad, considering all that happened in that 6 hours.
I wanted to thank my friends for rallying around me and helping me get around. A huge thank you to Kim for sitting with me in the ER and the OR!!! I truly, deeply appreciate it! Thank you E for calming me the night before and for opening my water bottles for me. :) Jessica-I love the hydrangeas! To everyone else--thank you for all the offers of help and support and boredom busting games played with me.
And to my mama--Thanks for coming to help me with the kids, and sorry I was grumpy. I has a big owie.
Verdict: I'm in the cast till early August. The pin comes out the 23rd of June barring complications, and I get a new cast for 6 more weeks. I can't start my job selling cars, which sucks more then I can express. I'm stuck freelancing again (still?), albeit at 2/3's my former speed.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment