Saturday, February 27, 2010

Dating Sucks

"Mom, do you have a boyfriend?" Kate asked me while we were getting ready for bath time.

"Uhhmm (clears throat) No I do not have a boyfriend, Katie."

"Why not Mama? Daddy has a girlfriend," just as matter-as-fact as she can be.

"Well, uhh… Because I'm discriminating."

"What's that mean?"

"I'm picky, dear. Time to brush out this nest of hair." Needed to put an end to THAT conversation.


Nothing quite like having your 6-year-old to remind you this is yet another area that you suck. Truth is, I've been asked out a few times (by more than just the Home Depot dudes), but I'm mostly not interested. I had one good date that I thought was going to go somewhere… but didn't. And one perfect date that I wish we could replicate, but current circumstances make that impossible. I've been stood up or cancelled on more times than I care to count. I think I hate the whole process. I was horrible at the dating game before I got married, and after 10 years not participating, I am truly befuddled by it all. I'll figure it out, I always do, but I think I just don't want to mess with it right now.


Living in the world, going through what I'm dealing with in life without getting a hug sucks. But I'd rather live in a world without hugs than to receive them from people that don't mean it. Fortunately, I was gifted with a little Koala Baby and a SnuggleBug. Their little hugs aren't the same as a grown-up hug, but are so sweet. They'll get me through.

No comments:

Post a Comment