Sunday, February 28, 2010

The Gift of Service

My life is a crazy mess at the moment--no one would deny that I think. But for as awful as it is, there is always someone that had a much more awful hand dealt to them. The Haitians come to mind, and after this weekend, the Chilians.

Immediately after the Haitian disaster, I went to work making cloth diapers with fabric out of my stash. I didn't even pause--I just knew that this was a skill that I possessed, and not having any money to donate, I knew I needed to donate my time. I didn't even make a dent in what I own (I knew all that fabric would come in handy someday!).

I took a break from my sewing for a bit to recharge after that binge, but now I'm ready to attack again. There is currently a muslin cut out and pinned on my mannequin for an exquisite Audrey Hepburn-style dress. It will be in peacock-blue colored silk, and will look great with my black coat over it. :-) But I digress...

With the latest disaster in Chile, I'm called to get back to my service sewing. More diapers, receiving blankets, and layette gowns are needed for the infants of both Haiti and Chile. I shall finish my dress by tomorrow night and start on blankets after that.

Think about your life. Think about the "hardships" of your life. Then think of this: Can you clothe yourself and your children in clean clothing? Do you have indoor plumbing? Do you have a safe and warm place to sleep at night? If you can read this on a computer, than I am going to bet the answer is yes to all of these questions. Do you have a gift that you can utilize to make another persons life better somehow? Just think about it a little, and see what you can come up with. Do it for me, please?

No comments:

Post a Comment