Saturday, February 27, 2010

Who Am I?

If you were to pose this question to yourself, would you know the answer right away?

I am a mama. I am a woman. I have an overwhelming desire to learn everything about everything. I want to SEE things. I want to FEEL things. I want to sense things. I want to pass on this curiosity to my children. I want to teach them about the world, and help them develop their little minds into something great.

Their minds are a genetic gift, passed down through the generations. Looking back through the last four generations on both sides of my family tree, there are incredibly brilliant people, with incredible accomplishments attributed to them. My little Bug is the next in line with this gift.

I bear a great responsibility in making sure that this gift is not squandered like mine was. I made very bad decisions in my childhood/early adulthood that have adversely affected my life goals...

I have always thought that homeschooling could be a good idea, if utilized properly. Once my children were born and I became aware of their different personalities, this seemed like more than just a good idea--this was a calling. I tried to ignore it for a while. But I couldn't ignore it for long. Everywhere I turned I was finding more and more ways to implement this into our lives. I did it for nearly two years with my older two and we were very successful with it.

But life circumstances change, and I was forced into putting them in public school, even though I didn't think that was the best decision for them, especially for my little Bug. She was forced into joining her age group--which was, unfortunately, not her knowledge group. This last week, teh school showed us how grossly negligent they are with her, and I am now at a crossroads--do I pull her back out and resume our studies where we left off, or do I allow the school to keep charge of her? I am certain that the right answer is not the popular answer.

I have so much to share with the next generation. I was not able to get a teaching degree so that I may teach other children, but I can and should teach my own.

Who are you? What do you have to share with the next generation?

No comments:

Post a Comment