I included it as a preface in my other post, but I wanted to address this in a separate post.
Friday, I took my tiny 6yo girl roller-skating for a friend's birthday party. It was her first time on "real" skates, so I was trying to show her how it was done. I'm pretty good, and was even rolling backwards with her for a bit when we first started. However, as my luck would have it, as we were going around the rink in a completely normal manner, she got wobbly, went spread-eagle and got her skate tangled in mine. My only concern was not falling on her, as i out-weigh by over 100lbs, so I fell away from her and caught myself with my left wrist.
I heard it snap when I landed. I didn't need to look at it to know it was broken. The pain was incredible for just a moment... I concentrated on not releasing a string of obscenities, and not scaring my BabyGirl. Then I concentrated on scooting my butt off the rink, and only got run over twice (and still didn't cuss, I'm proud of that!). I had someone remove my skates, and only then did I look at my arm. Yep, definitely broken. I sat for a moment and utilized every pain blocking thought that I had within me to concentrate on not passing out and not throwing up. It worked. I slowly pushed/pulled myself to standing, holding onto the wall for support, letting my other arm dangle for a moment. Only then did I pick up my left arm by the elbow to carry it around. Mental pain blocks are VERY effective. You cannot allow yourself to surrender to the pain--fight through it and get tough. After some help with my shoes from a stranger, and a piece of cardboard to rest my arm on, and a call to the ex to pick up Kate, I drove myself to the hospital.
They x-rayed it and splint it in the ER. then told me the surgeon was going to need to look at it because there were three breaks. Awesome. I don't do anything halfway.
After meeting with the surgeon, he told me that I will be receiving a plate and screws in my arm to repair it. This surgery is set for tomorrow morning (Wed), and I will be completely knocked out for it. I should be home tomorrow afternoon or evening, pretty worse for wear I suppose.
Pray for the surgeon's hands to be skilled and steady, pray that I get back an acceptable range of motion, pray for a speedy recovery so that I can get back to being wholly me again, and pray that my job will still be there for me when I am finally able to start it (I was supposed to start Monday).
Until I am healed I will attempt to post, but I can't promise anything.
Screws. In my arm. I'm sorta freaked at the thought. Yuck.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment