As most of you found out Tuesday, I had an interview at a dealership in the next town over and got the job! I am incredibly excited and happy that I finally was able to find employment after looking daily since last April. One year, and I am glad to see the end in sight.
The questions that have been asked since is "why did you do that? Cars? That's gonna be hard..." and "why didn't you take the other one you interviewed for here in town?" Well, the completely honest answer starts with money and ends with being independent. Plus I have something to prove to myself.
I was trying to hold off on getting a career job until all of the kids were in school in fall because of child care expenses. Right now, as in today, to put the little one in daycare, and the older two in after school care would cost me $28 a day, or $140 a week. Once school lets out for the summer, it will cost me $48-60 a day, depending on where I put them, or $240-300 a week. At $300 a week, I would have to make $10/hr for 40 hours just to break even after taxes and daycare. That leaves out every single "job" in town, and makes me have to focus on "career opportunities" only. I can get my rent excused for the two months (I would have to pay it back by the end of the year, when the house sells) and live on food stamps and the child support only if I had to do so--in fact, I am doing so this month and I am stressed about it.
Working for $10/hr to only break even is not worth me working. I would need to make at least $15/hr (gross pay) for it to be worth it to me.
When I saw the ad for the dealership last week, I REALLY wanted to go. I couldn't get anyone to watch the kids on such a short notice and the ex flat out refused and was really nasty to me about it. I was so upset that I had to miss out on the opportunity. Well, this week came, and the ad was run again, for the same dealership, but in a different location. I jumped on it, and started making calls without breathing a word to the ex.
I drove over there, and 2.5 hours after arriving for my walk-in interview, I was walking out employed. I met the guys on the lot, and I will be the only woman selling for now. I have nearly always worked in a man's environment, and I thrive on it. I started on the factory floor of my dad's shop at 14 and those guys gave me a lesson on how to deal, lol! I attended my first trade show as a seller at 17. I'm certain it is because I only had brothers to play with growing up--the sisters are all so much younger than me, they just weren't my playmates. Selling GPS to pilots was a man's market.
The line that cemented my job? The General Manager asked me how much I wanted to make per month, and said that any number was acceptable. I told him that I wasn't sure how much was possible in a month, but by the time I filed my 1040 at the end of 2010, I wanted it to be larger than my ex's. He asked how much that was, and I told him... and he said "No problem. So-and-so made $2800 last week, and he is not our top seller." Oh yea... Dangle that carrot in front of me! Chomp!
I told one of my good guy friends that, and he replied "Why do I get the idea you will soon be the top seller on the lot?" Yea, he knows me and how I work a little too well methinks. I won't measure myself against the guys on the lot at first though, I will only measure myself against me until I get the hang of how to sell this particular variety of car/truck. I will be selling 5 different brands, one of the brands is the top luxury brand on the main market.
What about making quota? Bottom acceptable quota is 7 cars a month, with 10 being the average. 2-3 cars a week. I know I can do that if I have the traffic.
I am excited for this new chapter of my life. I excel when I am employed, and I need this sales job to find that confident Amanda that everyone loves again. I have come a long way so far, but I still have a ways to go to find myself again. This job will allow me to do that. And--it is a career that could be long-lasting and financially rewarding. Also, very transferable if the need arises.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment