I was going to post last night, but was undecided which topic to address. After reading through a couple of familial interactions on FB, I realized I needed to address the religion, or lack-of-religion, topic.
I am a scholar at heart. I strive to learn every thing about all things. This includes religion and what drives people to behave the way they do. I was exposed to many different religions and denominations growing up: Presbyterian, Quakerism, Methodist, Adventist, Catholicism, Judaism and the many different belief systems the Native Americans utilized. I studied paganism and how it affected Anglo-Saxon history and the effects on the Church. I read works written by the leaders of each of these religions/denominations and studied the history behind each of these people, what drove them to these decisions. I also have read a lot of Eastern and Greco-Roman philosophy.
My own personal moral code is drawn from EACH of them--but I don't adhere to any single group. This is hard for a lot of people to swallow--how can a person be in a boat without a rudder in the wide sea? Simply put, you CAN build your own boat, if you have a good set of plans--you don't have to buy one pre-made. After all, people make their own bread even though they can buy a loaf already made at the store, simply because they prefer the taste of the homemade bread--certainly not because it is easier that way. Some people homeschool their children, even though there are other schooling choices because they think it is better for them and their children. Same with spiritual belief systems--you choose what you want to believe, or not believe in.
I think there are a lot of wonderful lessons to be learned in the Bible. One of the most important lessons it teaches is about real, true love and how to obtain and practice true love. I have had 1st Corinthians memorized since I was a young girl--knowing that when one loves another, they are to love them with their entire being. Watching my parents divorce, and the problems that occurred in their remarriages also taught me to be a devoted and caring person; that when one person gets caught up in their own worldly issues, marriages suffer.
I stayed in my marriage long after most people would have given up because I refused to give up. I felt I owed to myself and my children to know that I had gave it my best effort, that I knew there was no other solution. I remained faithful to him to the end. Even to our last anniversary dinner, knowing he had been with her 24 hours previous, knowing that we were going to be officially separated by that weekend, I still made him an anniversary dinner to show him that I still respected him as the father of my children and that I was still honoring the vows I took 9 years earlier. He shoveled it down in 10 minutes and left the house again. *shrug*
Where does religion fit into this? Love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, self-control, respect, honor, humility, courage--all of these words have non-religious definitions, but all are the basic building blocks of every religion. One can believe in these words without having one of the many different names for God attached to them. Or you can believe in them with a Godly name attached. It doesn't matter to ME what you believe--it only matters to you and your inner self.
I do not believe in religion as a whole, but I am not an atheist either. I believe that you can send wishes out into the world and have them come true. I believe that meditation can bring peace to your soul--that meditation and those wishes can be in the form of prayer said with a bowed head and folded hands, or can be expressed while sitting out a bridge in the middle of the countryside. I choose to go to places where I feel connected to the people that had the most positive influence on my life--my grandfathers. I drive way out into the country, sit on the bridge that runs above "the crick" and speak out to my Pockie. Depending on the season I take different flowers/plants that meant something to us, write a note to him, tie it together and toss it in the crick and watch it float away.
The "Church" that I felt was the best fit for me was the traditional Quaker meetings that I went to in Phoenix. A traditional Quaker meeting is mostly spent in meditation, and anyone who has something to share with the group speaks. There is no pastor, no sermon. The building in Phoenix had a window that was one entire wall of the sanctuary and it backed up to a mountain. I was able to sit there, listen to the messages shared, or just be alone in my thoughts--and there was nature to commune with while sitting in the building. They are peaceful and patient. They try to stop and think through decisions so that they are not made in haste--they call this "seasoning". They always try to find the most moral solution to any problem. This is much how Albert Einstein viewed them too, writing once "I consider the Society of Friends the religious community which has the highest moral standards. As far as I know, they have never made evil compromises and are always guided by their conscience. In international life especially, their influence seems to be very beneficial and effective."
I will raise my children to know the stories of the Bible, as well as the Greek and Roman stories and the Egyptian gods. They are being raised in a loving, caring home by a mother that always listens to them when they need to talk, that gives them hugs when they need it, that inspires a love of learning and that encourages them to ask questions. To find beauty in everything around them.
Do I need to call myself Quaker, Catholic, Adventist, Jew or Muslim to accomplish this? No, I don't think that is necessary for my personal peace. But if that is what works for you, wonderful. Really. Just don't try to tell me I'm wrong because I don't give it a name. Instead, share with me a wonderful message of love, or hope, or understanding, or peace. Or simply live it, and let that message show through your actions. The world could use a little more love and a lot less hate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment